Monday, April 22, 2013

Internship Update

My internship is only two days old and I'm already learning a lot. I took a cake decorating class last year which was really fun but now it's like I'm taking a free cake decorating class with even more one-on-one teaching time.

My first day I didn't do too much except be shown around, watch the decorator in action and have her help me practice some writing. Their buttercream was so stiff that I left with my hand nearly cramped and my forearm hurting. It was that day that I thought to myself, "Okay, this is not something I want to do for a career- I want to bake." I don't want to injure myself or live with a painful condition just to decorate cakes but I do want the knowledge for my future business. 

The first day was rather remarkable because I got to learn how completely offensive the owner of the bakery really is. I was not left with a very good impression but I'm deciding to press on. 

The second day was much better as we got to decorate way more cakes than the first day because it was Saturday. I got to airbrush, pipe borders, and frost cakes carefully with buttercream and whipped cream. I'm learning a lot and doing rather well. I was told that I might get some part-time work in June if I keep progressing at the rate I am which is rather exciting. 

Here's a picture of a cake in which I did everything; the icing, airbrushing, and borders; but the writing (the spacing really freaks me out and I didn't want to screw it up). 


And I have no idea what the heck the writing was supposed to mean...

No comments:

Post a Comment