Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Birthday Of The Asian Persuasion

This coming Sunday is Russ' birthday and if you've been following me for a while you know that I enjoy coming up with his birthday themes. I like to spend a minimal amount of money on decorations and DIY something incredible and different.

In 2011 the theme was the video game, Portal. All I bought was the cheap table cloth, balloons and some scrapbook paper to cut out designs and motifs from the game. 


I painted a cube-shaped box I had lying around for the table centerpiece, that is called a companion cube, from the game. 


And last year's theme was The X-Files. I think I spent about $8 on this whole little party. I bought a poster board to paint the logo, the birthday sign and painted it black, streamers at .88 each roll and balloons which I drew alien faces on with marker. 


This year I'm going with the sushi theme that I was debating with last year. I made this mood board last year and thought it was awesome so... Sushi Birthday it is!


1.) I already own two lucky cats for decoration.
2.) I have some Japanese dishes already and chopsticks.
3.) I actually bought this poster here in WA.
4.) I have some bamboo for a centerpiece already.
5.) I already own these statues.

So... all I need to acquire is maybe a table cloth if I don't want to use the white one from last year, some cheap lanterns from our local Daiso Japan store, and some Japanese treats from World Market. Now that we live closer to a sushi place, I can get fresh sushi and we can eat it at home or we can go out and have cake/pie at home amongst the decorations. We'll see what he feels like doing. 

I'm excited, this is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment