Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Boxed In

There's approximately seven months before we move across the country (again) to Washington state. I'm so apprehensive and excited about it! There's so much to do... so much money to save... so much to worry about... so much to do... 


Which is probably why right now I seem to have a box obsession. Moving and storage are definitely on my brain. I've got four boxes in my living room now. I can't help it, they're so adorable and they keep little odds and ends out of view and in a safe place. 


I bought this wooden box at the thrift store for less than $1.49 with a 10% military discount (which the same box sells for $4.99 at Michael's). 



Since my first DIY lacquer box turned out so adorably...


I wanted to do something different. So, I painted it white and instead of white lines on the corners, I painted it black. There was just something missing so I decided to paint a green accent. Annnnd...

I hated it. I hated it so much that I threw it into my craft cabinet in the kitchen and there it has sat for at least two months now.  


Until today. I thought about mod podging something onto the top of it to really make it stand out. But, unfortunately I didn't have mod podge (and it's kinda expensive). So a quick search on Pinterest led me to homemade mod podge!

Glue + equal amount of water + jar = homemade mod podge! Sweeet.





Then I just had to figure out what I wanted to be on the top. Originally I wanted to do a map on top but I found my scrapbook paper more inspiring.  And I had a LOT of options.



These two were in the running for a while...




I carefully measured my paper and then applied the mod podge to the painted surface with a sponge brush.


Make sure you use enough mod podge that the edges stay down (I had a hard time with that) and there are no bubbles (had a hard time with that, too).


Then, two coats on the top (with drying time between coats, of course).


Then, enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment