Monday, November 7, 2011

Art Inspired by Pier 1

While trying to outfit our first apartment with art, I found myself overwhelmed by our bare walls.  I had to find large pieces to break up the blandness and it seems like anything large was super expensive.  Take this wonderful tree picture I fell in love with at Pier 1: 


Pier1.com $400... yes, FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!

The $400 price tag took me aback... I mean, the painting was beautiful but it didn't really strike me as worthy of $400.  There was absolutely no way in hell I could ever picture myself buying such a piece at that price.  I was about to give up on it when my mom suggested that I could probably paint such a piece myself for hundreds less.  


Taking her advice, we headed to A.C. Moore and found a large canvas (they were having a huge sale, I can't remember how much it was... it's been a while), a pack of brushes and four colors of paint.  I drew out my own version of the $400 picture and painted it in.  I used the furniture glaze that I used on my orange table and painted over the canvas (so it didn't look so High School art class) and here's the result:




I may be biased (or just happy I didn't have to spend $400 for a similar look) but I actually like my version better... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment