Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pinterest Recipe: Coconut Meringue Pie

I think this is probably the first time ever I've made anything (besides like sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, and peanut butter cookies) that has no chocolate and more fruitiness.  To me, it's not really truly a dessert dessert unless it's got some chocolate somewhere. 


And also, I hate coconut.  I've always hated the texture.  The roughness always reminded me of flakes of skin and I hated it (makes you want to eat this pie, huh!?). It got stuck in my teeth and was tough to swallow so I did more picking out coconut than eating whatever it was on. 


But for coconut, the filling wasn't bad.  I have no idea how the pie tastes because 1) I just made it for Russ and he's not home yet and 2) I probably won't taste it because I have an aversion to coconut.  I'll make sure to update on what Russ thinks though.  But, from what I tasted, it was very good. 


If you want in-depth instructions, the link to the original recipe is great because she takes you step-by-step.  


I wish I could do that but I get totally freaked out whenever I'm trying a new recipe.  It's like I dive into the recipe, follow the instructions and then run around like a chicken with my head cut off because instead of gathering all my supplies I dove into the recipe unprepared.  I'm always worried that I'll screw something up so I read each part like five different times!


Coconut Meringue Pie


1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
stick margarine, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, separated
1 heaping cup coconut, sweetened flaked
9 inch pie shell, baked 


Mix flour, sugar, salt, margarine, milk, and egg yolks in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour into baked pie shell. Top with meringue.
Meringue 

3 egg whites

1/4 C sugar

Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar. Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form. Pour onto top of pie and spread to edges to seal well. Sprinkle additional coconut on top. Bake at 325 for ten minutes or until top is golden. Refrigerate until completely cold before serving.

Made my pie shell... looks beautiful...

Uh... okay, what the hell happened in the oven?  Oh well. 


Mixing the pie filling together...


I then added the coconut and stirred.


Meringue time!  Never... made meringue by myself before... a little intimidated.



 After several, several minutes (almost to the point that I was being mesmerized by mixer), it turned to this:




After about ten minutes in the oven, it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment