Friday, July 12, 2013

Experiencing Film & Music at the EMP

I've been to the Experience Music Project (EMP) Museum once before and wanted to go again because of a new exhibit they've got: Fantasy Worlds of Myth and Magic. 

The EMP is nestled right next to the Space Needle and is probably the weirdest looking building around. They host a variety of exhibits as well as concerts by big name bands and artists. 

The two exhibits we checked out were the Fantasy Worlds exhibit and the Women Who Rock exhibit. 



 I remember seeing Lucy Lawless kick butt in this outfit on Xena: Warrior Princess. 




There were costumes from the Wizard of Oz there as well. 



Here's one of my two favorite things about this exhibit: costumes from The Princess Bride. Here we have Inigo Montoya's clothes, Princess Buttercup's wedding gown, and the Dread Pirate Roberts' getup. 


And of course the six-fingered glove!



And then there was David Bowie's costume from Labyrinth! There were also two masks worn during the masquerade scene that was one of my favorites in the film. 






Then we stopped by the Women Who Rock exhibit, which was really interesting. One of the coolest things, and I didn't get a picture, was a fur stole worn by Billie Holiday. 


Great picture of Joan Jett to open the exhibit. 
Here's Lady Gaga's childhood piano on exhibit, which I thought was pretty cool even though I'm not a fan of hers. To me, she's still strong and inspiring even though I don't listen to her music. 



Here's two dresses worn by Seattle natives Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart. The dress on the right was worn on the cover of RollingStone, also featured. 


On the left, Cherie Currie's jumpsuit and on the right clothing worn by Joan Jett on the cover of I Love Rock n Roll, pretty awesome!

Something interesting to note: Joan Jett's jacket had a bunch of pins about women's rights on it and I couldn't help thinking that, how sad is it that nearly three decades later we are still having this discussion on women's rights? 

Anyways.


Pat Benatar's tiny tiny dress! 


Siouxsie Sioux's fur coat... 


Chrissie Hynde...


Gwen Stefani... 


It was pretty interesting to see these bits of history on display! Though... I feel like the absence of Shirley Manson of Garbage and Alanis Morrisette was a huge gaping hole in the exhibit. Weird. 

P.S. 
TOMORROW I will be able to announce the logo we have chosen for our bakery truck venture, Bake My Day. SOOOOO excited!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment