Thursday, October 6, 2011

Introductions

There are no great blogs out there that instruct people how to decorate a standard rental apartment.  While I love to regularly browse Apartment Therapy, the apartments that they feature are so far from my own apartment experiences that it is difficult to truly relate.  And that’s what I want to do.  I want to convey my own apartment experience that is more similar to the majority of people out there.
We can’t paint walls and we can’t change appliances or fixtures.  We don’t have french doors, skylights and balconies with incredible views.  We have to deal with old rental carpet that we hope was cleaned before we arrived and tubs that remain old-looking no matter how often or hard it is scrubbed.  We have to wrestle with old washers and dryers and wash our dishes manually.
Just because you’re in an apartment doesn’t mean it has to be crummy.  Sure you have a few more obstacles to making it seem homey, clean and pleasant but it is not impossible. 
I’m a Navy wife and if my husband decides to stay in when his enlistment is up in two years, I’m sure we’ll see a lot more apartments.  After being married for a little over a year, we have already lived in two different apartments and I’ve enjoyed decorating them inexpensively and in the terms of the leases.  It’s been a challenge rifling through different blogs and websites to gather ideas I can apply to my own situation, but it’s been fun. 
I’d like to share my projects, ideas, and experiences on this site as we travel apartment to apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment