Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Before and After: Dumpster Coffee Table

Is finding things by the dumpster yucky?  Well, sometimes.

 

I found this table sitting by the dumpster (which, my balcony overlooked the dumpster... sounds lovely, doesn’t it?) and snatched it up.  Actually the correct term would be hauled it up the stairs with my husband while saying, “Eww!  My hand stuck to this!”’ It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever had to clean (that includes messing around in the grease trap at Little Caesar’s!).  It strangely appeared to be the big brother to the Orangey table that I had painted the previous week.

 

I had to use Goo Gone to remove whatever gunk had adhered to the table and I don’t even want to think about what was on it or where the table came from.  I’d like to think it walked its way out of the nearby woods to sit by the dumpster. 


Once I had this clean slate I then had to decide what to do with it.  It was scuffed up already so I knew I’d have to cover it in paint to make it somewhat presentable.  Since I have a dark sofa and other dark furniture I wanted to go light with the finish to bring some interest to my space.  
I took some different paint samples from Walmart and decided on Better Homes and Garden’s Tempting Toasted Coconut. I had some ideas about painting a design or putting something with Modge Podge on the table but it wasn’t until I began sanding the table on my cramped balcony that I realized what I wanted to do.   The top looked so interesting and distressed while sanding it, I decided to just paint the base and leave the distressed finish. 
After a few coats of meticulously-applied paint, it turned out great.  Yet, months later I still have yet to put a clear coat to protect the wood top because I haven’t gotten around to it but I figure if anything happens to it, it’ll just add to the distressed finish!




I accomplished this project for $15 (one quart of paint and a nice paintbrush; please get a decent brush the first time because I used a cheap one before and it was terrible).

No comments:

Post a Comment