Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ingrained

I originally planned to make some artwork for over the toilet in the upstairs bathroom. My canvas that I already had on hand was the perfect size for the space. 

I toyed around with a few ideas before thinking about how cool it would be to have some abstract looking woodgrain art on the wall. The shower curtain has leaves and branches on it and there's another piece of art that has leaves and I thought woodgrain would go without being matchy-matchy.

I just did a general search for woodgrain art or abstract woodgrain and came across this stock photo that became my inspiration image.

My next step was to just loosely draw the picture so I had some general guidelines to follow but I didn't want it to be perfectly spaced at all.



Then I just used brown, green, and red paint to trace the lines and fill in spaces with color where I felt like it. It was a very easy project. A little time consuming but I love the way it turned out. 

So I placed it above the toilet in the bathroom before nailing into the wall and well... I didn't like it. The shades of color were all wrong and with the shower curtain being a busier pattern, it just didn't mesh well. 

I relocated it to an empty spot in the hallway across from Brayt's room and I absolutely love it there. It goes well with the Esher pictures across the hall without being too similar and competing. 


I really love the way this came out and I don't think you really have to have any artistic skill to pull this off. Just draw some lines and a few wood knots occasionally. Simple. 


I did paint the edges of the canvas to give it a finished look like a dark frame around it. I think it takes it from looking like an art project to something a little more professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment