Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Care Package #1

Russ has been gone and the time has come for me to get out some care packages! I've never sent one while he's on deployment and the last time I mailed him presents was when he was in school in Florida. Well, sending packages on deployment is slightly different because you really have to think about what will make it in the box or not and how long it could take for them to receive it. If they're out of the country (which being on deployment they definitely will be) there's also customs forms you'll need to fill out.

Pinterest had a ton of ideas for care packages but in the end I wound up not listening to any of them and just doing my own thing.

Yeah, I'm kinda a rebel that way.

A lot of the care packages that are pinned are absolutely adorable but I didn't think my husband would enjoy receiving a box with a bunch of lipstick kisses all over it or decorated with hearts and glitter. 

That's just not our thing. I was embarrassed at the thought of him possibly opening a box covered in kisses or a box that says "hey there, stud muffin" in front of the other guys. Now, don't get my wrong... our emails are as mushy and gushy as they come but we are relatively private people so I'll save the mush and gush for non-public displays.

I also wanted the box to cheer him up, possibly make him laugh because that's one of our favorite things to do together. We watch funny internet videos, laugh at memes and hilarious gifs, crack lots of jokes, listen to comedians in the car, and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 or Rifftrax. 

That being said, I made his box an internet meme theme (for those not familiar, internet "meems" as it's pronounced is a funny or interesting picture that is shared over the internet among users that could be a picture, video, hashtag, etc.). Russ loves memes and he loves sharing them with me so I thought it would be a great subject for a care package!

Here's my first attempt with "you meme a lot to me!":


Because the food is SO BAD on the ship, I felt it was of the utmost importance to give him lots of his favorite snacks:

-Cherry Craisins
-Oatmeal Pies
-Jolly Ranchers
-Beef Jerky
-Siracha hot sauce (to coat all of the ship food to mask the taste)
-Gummies
-Warheads
-Pocky
-XBox Magazine
-Little Bites Muffins
-Mio
-Snyder's Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzels

Some other stuff? I can't remember now, but it was lots of his favorite things! I wish I would have lined the box but I'll get better at it once I send a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment