Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shed Some Light

One of my New Year's resolutions was to write more.  To do that I need a comfortable space with lots of room to spread out my papers and notes (desk, check!), a comfy chair (check!), inspiration (sorta check!), and a well-lit area...


Besides the dining room light and the lamp by the door, my desk area was seriously lacking lighting.  I was left squinting at my laptop (which did my eyes no favors) after 5 pm because it gets dark here so quickly. 


I had an old desk lamp that I used to have in my old bedroom at home but it is desperately boring and unstylish. 


Boooring.  And I hated the shade.
So while at Target (... yes, I guess I have a problem) I bought an $8 simple white drum shade that I thought I could use to jazz up the lamp.  I planned to do something interesting with the shade, paint or maybe make it into a map shade, but... it wasn't meant to be.  The shade didn't fit this goofy cheap-o Walmart lamp. 

Frustrated, I was going to return the shade but I had lost my receipt.  Oh well, guess it was time to buy a lamp base too.  Might as well since I was stuck with the shade.  The base was $10.85 so I guess roughly $18 isn't too bad for the lamp.



And yes, this is probably the most boring, blank and uber-unfantastic lamp the world has ever seen.  But... I have big plans for it.  I... uh... just have to figure out what that is.  I keep bouncing between leaving the base white and doing something with the shade only to revamping and customizing the entire thing.  I'd love to do a geometric pattern on the shade but I don't want it to clash with the chair cushion (diamonds), the pillows on the couch (circles), and the bold stripes of the curtains.  We'll see what I come up with... but until then I'll be writing away at my desk (and I'll pretend right now that I'm not typing this from bed... what?!  It's coooold in here!).

No comments:

Post a Comment