Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pinterest Recipe: Tator Tot Bacon Egg Breakfast Bake

Ahh! I can't believe that tomorrow it'll be a week since I posted. Oops! Well, I've been busy around here getting stuff ready for my friend to visit this week from Arizona but I've got a few posts lined up so when I come back I can relate all the vacation happenings!


Since Russ has some leave we decided to wake up late and make a yummy breakfast together. Well, with as long as this breakfast bake takes you might as well call it a 'lunch bake.' But, it was delicious. So delicious I don't even have pictures of it on the plate because we ate it all day long! 


The recipe is from here and I stumbled upon it on Pinterest. We used sausage crumbles instead of bacon for the sake of time (which it still took forever anyway). 


Tator Tot Breakfast Bake


3/4 – 1 bag TATER TOTS
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion or 1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 lb bacon crisp, crumbled
8 eggs
2 cups milk
3 cups cheddar jack or colby jack cheese, shredded

Heat the oven to 400 degrees and in a 9 x 13 add the tator tots and salt and pepper to taste. 


Bake until golden brown, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and set aside the tator tots. Then mix up your eggs, cheese and milk.


Cut up your peppers and onions.


Saute the peppers and onions.


Then add the vegetables to the tator tots. Put the sausage crumbles on top (we used the pre-made bag of sausage crumbles for convenience). Then lastly, add the egg mixture to the top.




Bake covered with foil for 45 mins. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 mins.

Though, in my oven, I probably should have baked it only an additional 20 minutes but everything turned out fine. With how tasty this was, I'm thinking of other breakfast bakes we could come up with. 

I was also thinking that instead of the tator tots AND sauteing all those peppers and onions, you could get an a bag of potatoes o'brien and cook those up for the bottom layer instead. Might try that in a future breakfast bake, stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment