Friday, February 17, 2012

Pinterest Recipe: Red Velvet Cake Balls

So I had a pretty nice Valentine's Day with my honey... 


With flowers and an adorable teddy bear...



And a pretty box of chocolates... 


And he took in a huge box of the red velvet cake balls/truffles that I made on Monday.  To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with them.  They were really, really sweet and I ultimately wished that I had just made the cake as opposed to the dense, overly-sweet cake balls.  With the added cream cheese frosting to the finished cake it just became too sweet. 

Ingredients:

cake mix (and the ingredients to make the cake)
cream cheese frosting
almond bark or candy coating


Bake the cake and allow it too cool completely. 


Crumble the cake into a bowl... my favorite part of making these.



Add the can of cream cheese frosting (I didn't add the whole thing because it was getting too runny).  It turns into a mushy consistency...


Roll into balls and place on wax paper and place the tray in the fridge until they are more solid.

Dip into chocolate.


I used vanilla and chocolate and let me tell you, the vanilla was a pain!  If you poked the cake ball AT ALL it would leave residue and make it have red cake smears on the surface which for a perfectionist like me was quite infuriating. 


Sorry for the bad "inside" picture of the cake ball... They're pretty just... TOO sweet and I didn't care for the consistency of the inside.


But... Happy late Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment