Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pinterest Recipe: No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

So, on Monday evening of this past week Russ tells me that people in his office were making fun of his choice of Code Red Mountain Dew and goldfish crackers for breakfast.  Which... was supposed to be for his lunch.  I normally don't worry about what Russ eats for breakfast because he's just not a breakfast person.  On weekends if I want to make pancakes or waffles or something special, it's like pulling teeth to get him to agree that he'd eat breakfast too.  


I pinned this recipe because I love granola bars and I figured since it's not a huge breakfast, perhaps Russ would be down with eating these on the go.


And, I loved them.  I probably ate more than he did which caused me to have to make a second batch in order for him to have some granola bars to eat for the rest of the week.  They are better than store bought and super simple to make.  The only thing I hate is having to clean up my sticky bowl and sticky pan afterward... I like to let it sit on the counter and harden up because after I'm done baking I'm pretty lazy.  Just about dishes though... I hate dishes. 



No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats {not rolled oats!}
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
Directions:
In a large bowl, stir oats and rice cereal together. Set aside. In a small pot, melt butter, honey and brown sugar together over medium high heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce the heat and cook 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased small jelly roll pan {about 12x8x1} and press out to be about 3/4 inch in thickness. {If your pan isn’t small enough, pack the mixture into one side. You really want to press them down so they stick together.} Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and press down lightly. Cool on a countertop to room temperature for two hours or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.






And they're a hit!  Russ loves them and will now be eating something that gives him more energy than... well, I bet Mountain Dew would be more effective at that but these are definitely healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment