Tuesday, May 27, 2014

You've Got To Be Kitten Me

This past weekend I was inspired to pick up a paintbrush and a spare canvas and paint a goofy little idea that's been bouncing around my brain for a while. I love lucky cats... I love sugar skulls... so, why not a lucky cat decorated like a sugar skull?! 

I found inspiration via Google images and just did my own take. I first drew everything out, then began with the emerald background. I originally wanted to do a black background but I thought the cherry blossoms with the emerald would be an unexpected combination and would still fit nicely with the Japanese-themed style. 


I love the way the cherry blossoms came out. I put a glob of pink paint right next to white paint and dabbed the brush in so each color was on half of the brush and just had fun with it. It gives the flowers a little more dimension when you use the white barely mixed with color. 


I am really pleased with the end result, my little lucky cat is adorable! I originally wanted to paint him in a similar color that Ian is but with all the ornamentation already covering him I thought it would be too much. 


He found the perfect home among the rest of our quirky game room art. It's probably my favorite art display in the house because it can be goofy, unexpected and just fun. 


Speaking of cats... I haven't mentioned the kitties lately, have I?

Well, they've been really busy lately so...







How lazy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment