Monday, September 30, 2013

What Seattle Is Really Like

"Oh, you're moving to Washington? Be ready to be depressed!"

"Oh my gosh, you know it rains there a lot, right?" 

"You'll be suicidal!" 

These are the things Russ and I both heard whenever someone heard we were moving to the Pacific Northwest. I didn't care what they said though because most of my life I've wanted to travel to Seattle and we had picked Washington orders over staying in Virginia. I knew sort of what to expect: rain, evergreen trees, and fog not unlike a stupid Twilight movie. 

And now, I've been here roughly nine months so I think, as a neutral outsider, that I can accurately describe a little of what Seattle is like to someone who's never been here.

When we first arrived in December it was cold and rainy pretty much daily. Winter is known as the rainy season so instead of snow falling, rain fell with as much frequency. But one winter day, the rain stopped and the clouds parted and I was able to see Washington's beauty for the first time. 

The bluest skies, the greenest trees, and the freshest air.





Around the end of April and the beginning of May is when the rain pretty much dried up and it has rained infrequently for the last five months. Now that it's getting into Fall, the rain has returned. Weirdly, I missed it. I like the chilly gloominess every now and then. It feels moody and I like it. 

And beneath Seattle's rainy exterior there is an amazing city rich with interesting culture. There's tons of things to do and there's always a festival going on. Diversity is truly celebrated. 

But seriously, the Spring and Summer here were absolutely gorgeous. 

Mt. Rainier from the Space Needle



And now I'm ready for Fall! I can't wait to take some photos of the leaves changing (which, some started changing in August!).

But no, I don't feel like killing myself and I don't feel depressed. 

Strangely, I haven't been in the city when it has ever been raining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment