Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Dedicated Space

So my brother generously donated his office to us so we could use it as our business headquarters. He cleaned it out and left us with a blank slate.



My plan for this room bounced around between ideas- I wasn't quite sure what to do with this blank canvas and I had a budget of $100. That's all I was willing to put into getting this room together. 

My first stop in trying to figure out this room was Joann Fabrics because I had a chair I wanted to cover (which ended up not going in the room) and/or I wanted to make some cheap curtains. I found a few fantastic options but my only problem was that I didn't think they would go well with some of the other 'bakery' items that I had already that were pink and green like our business color scheme. They were also above my extremely cheap price range. 





On a whim I decided to go to Walmart for some cheap curtains and then maybe I could decide what I wanted to do from there. 

I found these and I thought they were extremely cute and bonus, really inexpensive. Plus, they were a shade of green that would definitely go with our bakery colors. 

I also found a 5' x 7' rug at Fred Meyer on sale for $27.99 and brought the table up from the downstairs area because it hardly was ever used as anything but a catch-all and a launching pad for the cats to hurl themselves off of. The canvas near the window was already owned and is there to cover some anchors that the previous tenants left in the wall. I haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet.



I love the antiqued look of the mirror that had been previously black. I only gave it one thin coat to achieve that look. It's a cheap mirror I bought two or three years ago at Family Dollar for $10. The flower art was something Mom had that was in the yard sale pile and I thought the colors went along pretty well. 



These are Pike Place Summer blooms for $15. This bouquet is SO heavy too! I never cease to be amazed at their beautiful flowers and how extremely cheap they are. 



Budget breakdown:

White shelf: $23.99 (Target)
File Cabinet: $5.99 (Thrift Store)
Clock: $6.99 (Target)
Bulletin board: $7.29 (Target)
Fleur de lis plaque: $11.99 (Hobby Lobby)
Curtains and Curtain rod: $27.94 + $13.99
Rug: $27.99 (Fred Meyer)
Total: $126.17

All other artwork or paint used was already owned.

I wanted to make it under $100 (because with this truck I do NOT have much to spare) but I came close. I had a curtain rod I had wanted to use that I already owned that was just a tad too short... grr. That's the way it goes, doesn't it?

It's not bad for just a cheap little office project and it's great to get all of our stuff organized in one place rather than stuffed in cabinets and spaces all around the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment